Impaired performance and aegrotat assessment and regulations

We have amended impaired performance for Semester 2. We have made it easy to apply for consideration of issues and challenges you have faced which may have impaired your performance in assessments or prevented you from completing them. A temporary Aegrotat and Impaired Performance Consideration Form is effective for Semester 2.

Aegrotat and Impaired Performance Considerations: Temporary Form During COVID-19 Emergency (107 KB)

Changes to this form include:

  • Applications related to COVID-19 and associated disruptions do not have to be supported by a medical certificate or other evidence. A simple statement should suffice in most cases, although the University may contact you if further information is needed.  
  • If your application doesn’t relate to COVID-19 and you are able to provide medical evidence, this is expected. However, exceptions will be made if you are unable to see a medical professional because of the pandemic.  
  • You do not need to have the form to be witnessed, signed and dated by a Justice of the Peace, Notary Public, an authorised Department of the Courts or government agency staff member, or medical practitioner. Instead, we ask you to explain your circumstances and indicate the impact it has had on your performance.  
  • Your application will be thoughtfully considered, though an application does not guarantee a change of grade.  

Impaired performance frequently asked questions

What will happen with my aegrotat/impaired performance application? 

 Your application will be considered by academic staff to determine whether your mark or result can be changed. This will depend on how well you did in other assessments during the semester in that course and your personal circumstances. When reviewing aegrotat/impaired performance applications, the University will consider whether you have demonstrated sufficient learning in your assessments. While we will be as flexible as possible, it is still expected you will have completed at least 40 per cent of the course assessment.

 How will I know the result of my application?

You will receive a notification of the outcome through your student portal. Please note that making an application does not guarantee a change of grade. 

 Do I need to provide any other documents with my application?

 No – during this COVID-19 pandemic, you won’t need to provide any supporting documents in most cases, unless you already have them available when you apply. 

What if I am a doctoral student and my research has been affected by COVID-19?

You can apply for a suspension of studies, change of candidacy from full-time to part-time, or an extension of studies through the student portal.

Contact us Mon - Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm 0800 MASSEY (+64 6 350 5701) TXT 5222 Web chat Staff Alumni News Māori @ Massey